Sunday, March 19, 2017

Three of My Favorite Podcasts

Wait, what’s a Podcast?


For those of you that haven’t yet been bitten by the podcast bug, a podcast is like a radio series that you can download onto your computer or smart phone and then listen to at your own pace. I save my favorite podcasts on my phone and listen to them while I’m driving. That way I can listen to my favorite podcasts regardless of when I happen to be in the car. Some podcasts are also broadcast on the radio, while others are not. There are podcasts on just about everything! It's amazing what you can find on a podcast. Here are three of my favorites.


Ben Franklin’s World


Liz Covart













I love early American history. If you also love American history, or if you are interested in learning more about it, then Ben Franklin’s World is the podcast for you. Hosted by historian Liz Covart, each episode of Ben Franklin’s World gives a fascinating glimpse into 18th century America, focusing on historical people and events that have impacted and shaped our present-day world. Each show features a guest historian who focuses on a certain aspect of early American history, and is expertly interviewed by Liz. Her love of history is contagious, and Ben Franklin's World is always interesting and fun.


Twice Removed


The author (left) with A.J. Jacobs














I also love family history. Twice Removed is a podcast about family history hosted by A.J. Jacobs. A.J. is out to prove that we are all one family. In each episode, he takes his guest on a tour of their family history, and then he introduces them to a mystery relative - of whom they were not previously aware. The stories that A.J. uncovers are fascinating, heartwarming and fun.

As a side note: A.J. and I are cousins; I just don’t know how many times removed. If you want to see if you are related to A.J., you can start from his profile on Wikitree.com which is a free, user generated, world family tree.

TED Radio Hour


Guy Raz,















If you are curious and enjoy learning new things like I do, then you will love TED Radio Hour. Hosted by Guy Raz, TED Radio Hour is a journey through fascinating ideas: astonishing inventions, fresh approaches to old problems, and new ways to think and create. It never ceases to amaze, enlighten and educate. Each show interweaves various TED Talks, covering a common theme, with interviews of the presenters by Guy, who does a great job tying everything together.


Conclusion



So those are three of my favorite podcasts. Have you listened to any of them? Did you enjoy them? If you haven’t listened to them yet, do give them a try. If you want to find other podcasts, two of the most popular places to find podcasts are iTunes and Stitcher. For a great directory of other podcast resources, check out How-To Geek. What are some of your favorite podcasts? I’d love to give them a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment